I Wish I Were In Paris

From war to peace and politics to gossip, if we have an opinion on something we'll share it here.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Two Trips To The Store, And A Bumper Sticker!!

I recently found myself in several interesting situations. A week or so ago I went to a store to return a Christmas gift. As I was waiting in line, I couldn't help but overhear a loudmouthed women that was an employee at the store. She was bitching to some other employee about the "horror" of a telephone language option. Apparently she was attempting to pay a bill over the phone when she was given the option of hearing the instructions in Spanish. Imagine that!! SPANISH!!

She went on to bitch about how you can't say Merry Christmas anymore, and that's the fault of the atheists!! Yep!! That's right!! Atheists are to blame!! The other employee that she was bitching to was a complete and utter "yes man" as my brother pointed out to me!!

I was really very tempted to either ask her if she had a problem with those who spoke Spanish or any other language for that matter, and atheists!! Or, we were going to walk over by her and start speaking in other languages. I would have loved to see her reaction!! These are some Americans for you though!! God forbid that you don't conform to their idea of what it is to be an American.

***************************************************************************
The other day I was in the drive-thru at a local restaurant. I found myself behind this woman who had a bumper sticker on the back of her SUV. It said, "If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier." I proceeded to yell out my window that soldiers didn't teach me English, my mother did. Unfortunately her window wasn't rolled down so she didn't hear me. But imagine my surprise and hers when I was driving home the entire time behind her and this ignorant woman lives on the same block as I do!!

***************************************************************************

Finally, yesterday afternoon I took a trip to the local Barnes and Noble. After about an hour and a half I settled on some things to buy. I purchased a travel guide on India. I collect travel guides for places around the world because they are very interesting to read. I also purchased an Arabic language book with CD's. I thought for sure that I was going to get some comment about it because some of the people that work there are rude when it comes to those. Yes, I've purchased language books before and have gotten rude comments. However, the woman who checked me out was interested in my book on India. She asked me if I was taking a trip there. When I said no, she told me about how her husband has asked her where she would go if she could go anywhere in the world. She told him that she would go to a country where there were no white people or very little because it would be a hell of a lot more interesting!!

There you have it!! Three situations, and I finally come across someone who isn't an ignorant asshole!!

For those of you who are interested to know what languages I speak, I speak Russian and English. I know a little French, Spanish, Italian, and Japanese. I'm teaching myself all of those languages. I learned some Italian by listening to Italian opera music. And now, I will also be teaching myself Arabic. After that, I plan to try Chinese, Dutch, and whatever else I want to learn!!

Unlike some people in this country, I have no problem with other languages. The more I know, the better. I don't think that people should have to speak English to communicate with me. It's not hurting me to learn their language so I can communicate with them. In fact, it's fun!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
People Who Are Violent to Animals ... Rarely Stop There
Palm Springs Real Estate
Air Filter