I Wish I Were In Paris

From war to peace and politics to gossip, if we have an opinion on something we'll share it here.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Living In A Cartoon World?

I saw this story and had to blog about it.

Comic Strip Character Succumbs to Breast Cancer Sparking Praise, Outrage

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. But did the creator of the comic strip "Funky Winkerbean" take the "awareness" part too far?

Yes and no, say some.

The decision by cartoonist Tim Batiuk to have Lisa Moore, the cartoon strip's wife, mother and lawyer, succumb to breast cancer last week has sparked both praise and anger, ABC News reports.

"People have been incredibly kind and generous," cartoonist Tim Batiuk told ABC News, adding that hundreds of fans have e-mailed him about the story line.

But others are unhappy. "You are a man who seems to be without any idea of the pain (you) are inflicting," wrote one grandmother on TheCancerBlog.com. "You do not have the right to put this horror in a family newspaper."

Are people living in a cartoon world? I mean seriously!! It's a damn cartoon!! It's not like it's a human being.

Speaking as someone who has had family members die from cancer, I'm not the least bit offended by the cartoon. It's depicting reality because it's showing what can and does happen to people who have cancer. Not all people die from cancer. But many do. So, why is he wrong for showing what happens in real life??

I can't escape reality by pretending that my family members didn't die from cancer. I can't escape reality by living in a "cartoon" world where nothing bad ever happens. We're human beings. We die. We're not Wile E. Coyote!! We can't get blown up or fall off a cliff a million times and live another day to chase the Road Runner!!

IT'S A CARTOON, PERIOD!! NOBODY DIED!!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger LET'S TALK said…

    I agree with you on this. My sister had that scare a couple of Months ago but was found to be ok.

    I can't see the logic in any cartoon displaying such a strip with such a hurting and sometime a death causing degree as breast cancer.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Mauigirl said…

    I think the cartoon depicted the whole battle with breast cancer with great sensitivity. If people didn't want to be upset by it, they didn't have to read it.

    Now the strip has jumped forward 10 years and has moved on to the next phase. It's one of my favorite strips.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
People Who Are Violent to Animals ... Rarely Stop There
Palm Springs Real Estate
Air Filter