I Wish I Were In Paris

From war to peace and politics to gossip, if we have an opinion on something we'll share it here.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

There's No Hatred For Muslims In America!! Yeah Right!!

The next time someone tells you that there's no hatred for Muslims in America, ask them where the hell they live. Clearly they're ignorant if they think there isn't hatred for Muslims in this country!! A great example of that hatred and ignorance can be found in this article.

Muslim women: My headscarf is not a threat

(CNN) -- Last year at Christmastime, Rehan Seyam, a Muslim living in New Jersey, went to pick up some things at a local Wal-Mart. Seeing her distinctive traditional Muslim head covering called a "hijab," a man in the store, addressing her directly, sang "The 12 Days of Christmas" using insulting lyrics about terrorism and Osama bin Laden.

She was stunned.

"Do I look like a terrorist to you?" Seyam said she asked the man.

According to Seyam, the man replied, "What else does a terrorist look like?"

Such stories are not altogether uncommon for Muslim Americans. According to a recent poll by the Pew Research Center, 53 percent of Muslims living in America said it has become more difficult to be a Muslim in the United States since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Fifty-one percent said they are "very worried" or "somewhat worried" that women wearing the hijab are treated poorly, according to the poll.

A simple headscarf generally used by women to hide the hair from view, the hijab has become so controversial among some that several countries have banned or considered banning Muslim women from wearing them in public places. In light of this contentiousness, why do Muslim women choose to wear the hijab? Watch the making of CNN's TV special "God's Warriors" ยป

Gayad al-Khalik lives in Egypt and says the hijab is a focus on inner beauty.

"I want to shift the attention from my outer self to my inner self when I deal with someone, I don't want them to look at me in a way that wouldn't suit me," she told CNN in an upcoming documentary called "God's Warriors."

Al-Khalik is fluent in English and German; studied in Europe; plays Western music on her guitar; and spent time working for a women's rights organization.

She wears the hijab -- and says it's not just for religious reasons.

"My own conclusion was it is debatable whether it is a religious obligation or not, but I chose to keep it on because I do believe in modesty and you shouldn't be showing off yourself," al-Khalik said.

The Quran calls for women to be modest in their dress but interpretation of the edict varies widely, according to religious experts who spoke with CNN. An author who has written widely on Islam told CNN the Quran does not require women to wear the hijab.

"There's nothing in the Quran about all women having to be veiled or secluded in a certain part of the house. That came in later [after Prophet Mohammed's time]," said religious historian and author Karen Armstrong.

For Seyam, the hijab is a religious duty. "It's God's wish," she said.

"It's a requirement by God. He wants us to cover. He wants us to be modest," Seyam said.

But as important as the hijab is to her, Seyam's decision to cover her face wasn't one she made easily.

"It was very dramatic for me. And I remember, even now thinking about it, it really does make my heart beat a little bit faster," she said, "I was making a decision I knew was permanent. You put on hijab, you don't take it off."

Through her childhood growing up in Long Island, New York, Seyam prayed with her devout Muslim parents, but says she was just "going through the motions." It wasn't until college that she decided to wear a hijab consistently.

Influenced by her more devout friends, Seyam decided being a good Muslim meant covering her head.

"My sole purpose is to be here for the sake of Allah, and I'm doing something that he specifically says that you should be doing."

Seyam said there were practical factors in her decision as well. "I'm sick of guys catcalling. It was just driving me crazy. I felt like a piece of meat."

But Seyam says she traded in catcalling for a different kind of negative attention. People "look at me as if I am threatening and I do not feel like I am threatening looking. I don't feel I should instill fear in anybody's heart, but I do feel like I get dirty looks," she said.

Still, Seyam says her faith sustains her and that wearing the hijab is an important part of that faith.

"I'm not here to live my life and do whatever I want. I'm here to worship God," Seyam said. "I don't think that everybody has that, and I think that I'm lucky for it."

Rehan Seyam clearly has more self-restraint than I do because that asshole would have been lying on the floor if it had been me. It would have gone a little something like this.

Man: "What else does a terrorist look like?"

Me: "You, you stupid, ignorant mother fucker!!"

That would have been followed up with a punch right to his damn mouth. Maybe then he would have gotten the message that he was a stupid, ignorant mother fucker!! If that didn't work, I would have followed up the punch with a swift kick to his "family jewels"!!


Yes, I know!! Violence doesn't solve anything. It may have landed me in the slammer, but it sure as hell would have been worth it. This is a clear example of the ignorance in this country, and it's truly pathetic!! It makes me feel disgusted to even call myself an American because I don't want to be associated with this vile garbage, and there is plenty of it in this country!!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey Rehan, As a woman i ask you this you are allowed walk around wearing what ever you like in america. Im not an american by the way though i did live there for a while. But id like to see what happens to a woman who tries to express the same freedom to walk around wearing whatever she likes in your country. so cut the crap and stop whinging or go and live somewhere where you really have something to moan about.

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger LET'S TALK said…

    I was ready to make a comment on a great post and very well written story. Then I read both you and Karina's comment and I do not have to comment now. I know you do not need my support. I will just say that I agree with you 100% and the truth you spewed was fantastic and true!

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hopefully you read this. I went on a search to try to understand wearing Hijab and the women beneath them. The cursing and spewing of hatred for American thought on this blog has caused me...a person with no pre-conceived notion of Islam and Islamic feminine point of view to see that perhaps some of the stereotyping of angry screaming Middle Eastern people is not far off the mark.
    If in fact the owner of this site is Muslim. I am not Christian, Jew or Muslim and find it all very stupid and interesting, this fight for which God is right. Perhaps my dear you ought to let your beauty and power free and see that these male Gods Allah, Jesus and Yahweh have been and will be the demise of the human race. Within you and all females on this planet is the Goddess the source of all life. Turn your face back to her and all will be solved.

    May the peace of the Lady be with you.

    Blessed Be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
People Who Are Violent to Animals ... Rarely Stop There
Palm Springs Real Estate
Air Filter